Staying connected while at sea is now easier than ever as cruise ships are fully wired with internet cafes, Wifi, and cell phone reception.
However, not all cruise lines are equally wired and connection can vary from ship to ship within the same cruise line.
This article outlines the different packages and pricing that each cruise line and ship has to offer you during your cruise vacation.
Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Internet and Wi-Fi: Both Azamara ships have onboard computer centers with 24-hour access. Wireless access on smartphones and laptops is available in designated areas on the ship.
Carnival offers three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period, or for the entirety of the cruise at a discounted rate. The pricing for each plan is as follows:
- Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.
- Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).
- Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.
Users may easily upgrade from one plan to another. Users may use one device at a time on each plan, including either their personal devices or one of our on-board computers. All plans exclude video streaming (such as Netflix or Hulu). Cellular-network-dependent WiFi Calling and Facetime services are also not supported at this time. Printing is offered at no charge.
Internet and Wi-Fi: Most ships in the fleet offer Wi-Fi connectivity throughout, with the exception of Celebrity Century and Celebrity Xpedition, which offer Wi-Fi in public areas. All ships have 24-hour Internet cafes. Eclipse, Millennium, Solstice, Silhouette, Summit, and Infinity also have iLounges with workstations and classes featuring the latest Apple products.
Fees: There is a flat Internet rate of 75 cents per minute or package rates of 38 minutes for $24.95; 90 minutes for $49.95; 208 minutes for $99.95 and 555 minutes for $199.95. The truly wired may want to book the "Involved" plan: 1,666 minutes for $399.95. The same rates apply to wireless hotspots on all ships, as well as to in-cabin Internet access.
Internet and Wi-Fi: All ships have Internet cafes. Wi-Fi onboard works on all devices and is available throughout the ship.
To browse per minute, the price is 0,50€ while the 1 hour package is 20€, and 40€ for the 3 hour package.
For $45 satellite internet credit, you will receive 120 minutes of satellite internet time. (Depending on the packages available on board, there may also be a one-time activation fee of $3.75)
The internet stations are open 24 hours a day should you need to use one of their devices.
Both Disney Magic and Disney Wonder have Internet Cafes (located in the Promenade Lounges), each with computer stations that provide email service and Web connectivity. On Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream, passengers can rent a laptop at the Cove Cafe for an additional charge.
On all ships, computers are available in the teen club, Vibe. Wireless high-speed Internet is available for passengers bringing their own wireless-ready laptops or other electronic devices, with many hotspots set up in a variety of public areas.
The "Standard" plan offers 1,000 minutes for $250 (25 cents per minute), 500 minutes for $175 (35 cents per minute), 250 minutes for $100 (40 cents per minute), 100 minutes for $55 (55 cents per minute), a "pay as you go" option for 75 cents per minute and two "last day" plans: 30 minutes for $12 (40 cents per minute) and 15 minutes for $8.25 (55 cents per minute). The plan is available on Noordam, Oosterdam, Eurodam, Prinsendam and HAL's R-Class and S-Class ships.
On Nieuw Amsterdam and Zuiderdam, the "Hybrid" plan allows passengers to purchase either minutes or an unlimited Internet that spans the entire cruise. The plan offers 600 minutes for $199 (33 cents per minute), 400 minutes for $159 (40 cents per minute), 200 minutes for $99 (50 cents per minute), 30 minutes for $19 (63 cents per minute) and the "Unlimited Premium Voyage" package for $249.
Westerdam is the only ship to have the new social media package. Here's how those packages break down, priced for seven-day cruises.
- "Social" ($5 for 24 hours or $25 for the week): Limits access to only eight social media sites, including Facebook and LinkedIn.
- "Enhanced" ($16 for 24 hours or $60 for the week): Excludes videoconferencing and music streaming.
- "Premiere" ($25 for 24 hours or $99 for the week): Excludes video streaming.
Internet service is available at computers in Internet cafes on all MSC ships. Wi-Fi is available in all cabins and common areas.
You can save over 50% by pre-booking your internet package prior to your cruise.
They offer three different packages:
- Social - Access for 1 device to social networks and chat apps —Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, Snapchat, WeChat, Pinterest, VK, Odnoklassniki, Sinaweibo, Qzone and Line. You can post photos, but audio and video are not available. $4.50 per day / $16.50 per cruise (for a 7 day cruise only)
- Surfer - Access for up to 2 devices to social networks, chat apps, email and web browsing with standard bandwidth priority. Limit of 170 MB per day / 800 MB per cruise**. You can post photos, but audio and video are not available. $11.00 per day / $33.00 per cruise (for a 7 day cruise only)
- Streamer - Full internet access for up to 4 devices, including audio and video streaming, with maximum bandwidth priority. Limit of 340 MB per day / 1.5 GB per 7 day cruise - $22.00 per day / $66.00 per 7 day cruise
Norwegian’s internet packages vary from ship to ship.
See the table below to view the pricing and plans for the different vessels:
Wifi is available on all Princess ships. Pre-purchasing a package is the best value.
100 Minutes - $72.95 (Get an extra 20 minutes if you pre-purchase!)
200 Minutes - $102.95 (Get an extra 40 minutes if you pre-purchase!)
400 Minutes - $162.95 (Get an extra 60 minutes if you pre-purchase!)
600 Minutes - $202.95 (Get an extra 80 minutes if you pre-purchase!)
1000 Minutes - $252.95 (Get an extra 100 minutes if you pre-purchase!)
Royal Caribbean -
Royal Caribbean offers Wifi on all of its cruise ships.
Their new, faster internet program is known as “Voom” and is available on Oasis and Quantum Class ships.
The packages come in one of three options:
1 device at a time
- Voom - $15 per day
- Non-Voom - $20 per day
2 devices at a time
- Voom - $22.50 per day
- Non-Voom - $30 per day
4 devices at a time
- Voom - $40 per day
- Non-Voom - N/A